Media & News Features
November 8, 2013. LaVoi’s report on women coaches cited in ProPublica article titled Personnel Fouls: Sex Discrimination Suits Shake Tennessee Athletics.
October 10, 2013.LaVoi’s invited column for the New York Times “Room for Debate” piece, “Can Playing Ball Be Bad for Children?” addresses opportunities for girls in athletics in the context of some parents’ “winning at all costs” attitude.
October 1, 2013.LaVoi quoted in Star Tribune article titled Don’t drop this ball: the plight of the totally uncoordinated sports parent.
September 24, 2013. LaVoi appears on WCCO TV and comments on gender differences and intermittent fasting.
September 9, 2013. LaVoi quoted in article titled Does Sex Actually Sell Surfing?
August 27, 2013. LaVoi quoted in espnW article by Kate Fagan Sex Sells? Trend May be Changing.
June 12, 2013 LaVoi quoted in MinnPost article by Gregg Aamot titled Rethinking youth sports: Businessman David Baird tries a different kind of hockey camp
May 12, 2013 LaVoi participates in HuffPost Live panel on Sports Illustrated’s Lady Problem?
LaVoi was invited by the National Alliance for Youth Sports write an “Ask the Expert” column for their Sporting kid Spring 2013 magazine about a mother’s concern about lacrosse being too aggressive for her daughter.
April 9, 2013. LaVoi appears on KARE 11 TV with Jana Shortal talking about Griner trying out for the NBA.
April, 8, 2013. LaVoi quoted in Daily Chronicle article titled “As more girls play sports, fewer women have coaching jobs”
March 26, 2013. LaVoi talks to WCCO TV reporter Heather Brown on The Good Question about why women’s sport is not televised.
March 20, 2013. LaVoi comments on the controversies surrounding Brittney Griner in the espnW article by Kate Fagan, “What Brittney Griner says about us.”
March 19, 2013. LaVoi explains the misconceptions of Title IX and the stereotypes surrounding gender capabilities in sport in Northwest Herald article “Invading the boys club.”
March 13, 2013. LaVoi interviewed by The Oregonian about tips for getting your teenage daughter physically active.
February 25, 2013. LaVoi quoted in Clarion Ledger in article about sexual abuse in sport and the power held by coaches.
February 13, 2013. LaVoi weighs in on WCCO TV about the high school hockey Farmington goalie quitting mid-game.
January 7, 2013. LaVoi quoted in StarTribune article about how parents can help tween girls develop healthy self-esteem.
October 17, 2012. LaVoi quoted in StarTribune article about parental violence at youth sport events.
August 8, 2012. Read LaVoi’s invited commentary on MPR about gender and the Olympics titled, “In London and elsewhere, women athletes have made this a year to shine.”
August 8, 2012. LaVoi talks to KARE 11′s Rena Sarigianopoulos about the first female to referee an NFL game.
July 31, 2012. LaVoi appears on KARE 11 TV discussing Olympian Missy Franklin’s unique pathway to elite performance.
June 23, 2012. LaVoi quoted and writes scholarly pieces about the 40th anniversary of Title IX.
June 22, 2012. LaVoi appears on FOX 9 News discussing the 40th anniversary of Title IX.
June 8, 2012. LaVoi is featured in the College of Education and Human Development’s Vision 2020: Ideas. Research. Impact. Her blog is titled Concussions and Female Athletes – Prevention and Treatment
May 29, 2012. LaVoi’s column “Title IX: The status of women’s sports after 40 years” appears in the June issue of the Minnesota Women’s Press.
- May 28, 2012. LaVoi is quoted in the Sacramento Bee article on NCAA lacrosse murder civil suit of Yeardly Love.
- May 24, 2012. LaVoi featured in interview on Coach Hub titled “A Sports Psychologist’s Advice to Parents and Coaches.
- May 18, 2012. LaVoi quoted in The Daily Planet article titled, “Looking at girls in sports as Title IX marks 40 years in Minnesota and the United States.”
- May 7, 2012. LaVoi quoted in Yahoo.com article titled “Are Competitive Sports Safe for Girls?”
- April 11, 2012. LaVoi appears on FOX9 news with Scott Wasserman discussing premiere of “Concussions & Female Athletes: The Untold Story” on the Big Ten Network. Watch the documentary for free here.
- March 31, 2012. LaVoi quoted in espnW & ESPN The Magazine article on the scarcity of female coaches, titled “The Glass Wall: Women continue to shatter stereotypes as athletes. So how come they can’t catch a break as coaches?
- March 4, 2012. LaVoi quoted in FoxSportsNorth column on the mental toughness of Timberwolves player Ricky Rubio. “Rubio: From docile to determined in an instant“
- February 22, 2012. LaVoi quoted in Right to Play blog, titled “Beyond Ballgames: The Impact of Sport for Girls.
- February 15, 2012. LaVoi quoted in Women in World Foundation article on “Beyond Ballgames: The Impact of Sport for Girls”
- February 14, 2012. LaVoi quoted in StarTribune article “Couples who sweat together, stay together.”
- January 19, 2012. LaVoi is invited to write a commentary for Minnesota Public Radio. “Tale of two hockey players offers a sharp look at gender equity in sports”
- December 31, 2011. LaVoi quoted in StarTribune article “Girls deal with concussions too”
- December 10, 2011. LaVoi quoted in StarTribune article “Sports can act as cover for abusers”
- December 6, 2011. LaVoi appears on WCCO “Good Question” with Liz Collin on why as a society we like violence in sport.
- November 28, 2011. LaVoi is featured in an ESPN.com blog on determining a good fit between a coach and an athlete. “Which Coaching Style Works for You?”
- November 17, 2011. LaVoi and former master’s student, Erin Becker, had their research on mother-coaches mentioned in The New York Times’ parenting blog. The blog poses the question, “Why don’t more moms coach?”
- November 7, 2011. LaVoi appears on WCCO Sports Sunday with Mark Rosen to discuss a variety of issues around girls and women in sport.
- October 11, 2011. LaVoi is quoted in Rachel Blount’s StarTribune column titled, “Lynx’s championship should give boost to women’s sports”
- October 10, 2011. LaVoi talks with KARE 11 Dave Berggren about the Tucker Center and TPT documentary about the untold story of female athletes and concussion.
- September 16, 2011. LaVoi appears on KARE11 with Boua Xiong discussing “hype” of the Minnesota Lynx in the WNBA playoffs. “Move over boys! Here come the Lynx!”
- September 1, 2011. LaVoi appears on WCCO “Good Question” with Jason DeRusha to discuss lack of media coverage of the Minnesota Lynx.
- August 21, 2011. LaVoi appears on WCCO Sports Sunday with Mark Rosen to discuss a variety of topics related to youth sport.
- August 16, 2011. LaVoi appears on Fox 9 News with Scott Wasserman discussing exercise and life expectancy.
- August 2, 2011. LaVoi appears on a WCCO segment with Mark Rosen called “Practice, Not The Pro-Shop, Makes A Swing” at the Edinburgh Golf Course, MN.
- July 2, 2011. LaVoi quoted in TIME.com Business story “Game, Sex and Match: The Perils of Female Sports Advertising”
- April 2011. LaVoi quoted in Fitness magazine story “This Way Up” on the process of goal setting.
- March 24, 2011. LaVoi interviewed on Fox 9 News regarding the Minneapolis being awarded an expansion team of the Lingerie Football League. To see the interview click here.
- March 4, 2011. LaVoi quoted extensively in The Sputnik newspaper on Selling sex doesn’t sell sports.
- December 17, 2010. LaVoi talks to Dave Zirin about espnW on his Edge of Sports radio show.
- September 29, 2010. LaVoi quoted in The Daily Beast blog post “Female Jocks Rule the World”.
- September 17, 2010. LaVoi is live on Fox 9 News with Jeff Passolt discussing the complicated issues pertaining to sports reporter Ines Sainz and the Jets. To see the interview click here.
- August 31, 2010. LaVoi interviewed live on Fox 9 News with Jeff Passolt regarding hazing incident involving the Elk River football team. To view interview click here or here.
- August 11, 2010. LaVoi quoted in NY Metro Parents magazine story, “How to Encourage Your Daughter to Be Physically Active”, including “Dr. LaVoi’s tips for getting you daughter active”.
- August 11,2010. LaVoi quoted in NY Metro Parents magazine story, “Long-term Benefits of Sports Participation for Girls”.
- July 26, 2010. LaVoi quoted in The Salt Lake Tribune story, “What happened to Utah’s beloved sandlot?”
- June 5, 2010. “You’ve Gotta Fight For Your Right…to Blog?: A Legal and Ethical Primer to Sports Media in 2010” Blogs With Balls 3.0, Chicago. To see video of panel click here.
- April 25, 2010. LaVoi quoted in the Post Crescent News story “Area coaches weigh in on differences in coaching boys and girls athletes”
- March 30, 2010. LaVoi is quoted in MediaPost News story “espnW Focuses On Women’s Sports“
- February 18, 2010. LaVoi talked with Buck Benson of The Roadhouse Radio Show on WTIP, a community radio station broadcasting on the North Shore of Lake Superior. LaVoi discussed the benefits of sport participation for girls.
- February 15, 2010. LaVoi quoted in the New York Times Well Blog on the benefit of sports to girls entitled “As Girls Become Women, Sports Pay Dividends,” by Tara Parker-Pope.
- February 15, 2010. LaVoi interviewed by Fox9 TV on a fight that broke out among sport parents at a recent Burnsville, MN, 6th grade basketball tournament. LaVoi talks about sporting situations that can result in parents fighting.
- February 10, 2010. LaVoi appears in a KARE-11 TV video interview as part of a short piece entitled “Lindsey Vonn poses for Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue.” LaVoi’s recent blog post drew fire in highlighting the media’s propensity to portray female athletes as sex objects.
- January 13, 2010. LaVoi commented in a WCCO video interview on concerns regarding Olympic skier Lindsey Vonn’s weight. Some Austrian coaches had commented that Vonn’s higher weight advantages her. LaVoi points out that “when it comes to female athletes, many people talk more about how they look than what they actually do.”